Never Too Much of a Good Thing: A Dessert Tour of South Walton
There's a secret that beach insiders know, and we're going to spill the beans: South Walton might actually be dessert heaven with a beach, rather than beach heaven with good dessert. Okay, maybe we're exaggerating – after all, have you seen our sugar-white sand beaches? But the variety and quality of sweet treats at your fingertips means that you could make your whole trip about desserts and leave very satisfied.
Needless to say, we'd recommend breaking up this particular tour into more bite-sized pieces instead of trying them all in one go!
- Decadent Dessert Bar: From cakes and pies to coffee and a daily rotation of gelato, a stop by Decadent in 30Avenue is a must when you need to satisfy your sweet tooth. The Tres Leche Cake and Double Chocolate Cake are heavenly.
- The Donut Hole: A South Walton standby for decades, The Donut Hole obviously offers outstanding donuts. But save those for breakfast – the real dessert draw is the array of cheesecakes, pies (especially key lime) and cakes, whole or by the slice.
- La Crema Tapas & Chocolate: A whole page of its menu is dedicated to chocolate treats. The tapas are wonderful too, but when a restaurant has a chocolate menu, you know where your focus should lie.
- The Sugar Shak: If you can walk out of here without a sugar high, you're doing it wrong. Candy galore, refreshing ice creams, and bubble tea are perfect for those in need of a sippable treat.
- George's at Alys Beach: Four words: Warm Chocolate Toffee Goo. When that's a choice on the menu, you don't say no.
- Charlie's Delights: While we generally don't consider breakfast a great time for dessert, that's the only time you'll be able to grab a dozen of these delicious German-style donuts. Breakfast dessert it is, then!
- Heavenly Shortcakes & Ice Cream: It doesn't get much more classic than ice cream or strawberry shortcake, and sometimes classic is the best thing a dessert can be.
- Dawson's Yogurt & Fudge Works: Speaking of classic, Dawson's is believed to be the longest-standing fro-yo business in its original location in the entire country. They're doing something right (it's the fro-yo).
Blue Mountain Beach
- Blue Mountain Beach Creamery: This local favorite serves ice cream, sorbet and yogurt made fresh daily in just about every flavor known to man. If ice cream or its cousins are your game, Blue Mountain Beach Creamery is your place.
- Moo La-La Ice Cream & Dessert: Bring the whole family to this local sweet spot. After spending the day exploring all that The Village of Baytowne Wharf has to offer, a sweet treat from Moo La-La hits the spot, especially when you consider their rotating list of flavors and other treats.
- Seagar's Prime Steaks & Seafood: Located within Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa, Seagar's is the perfect spot to indulge in dessert, as well as a show. Be sure to order the Cherries Jubilee for Two, which is prepared tableside and served over vanilla ice cream.