Indoor Activities in Walton County
Have you soaked up plenty of sunshine for the day and are looking for your next adventure? There’s plenty of fun to be had indoors. Here are a few of our favorite pastimes:
1. Brighten your day with yoga, Pilates, cardio or free weights. Drop in for a session at one of South Walton’s many fitness, yoga or Pilates studios to get those endorphins going. Find your Zen at Balance Health Studio, Grayton Beach Fitness, Rosemary Beach Fitness Center, amongst many more. If you’re staying in Rosemary Beach, take a plunge in the indoor Sky Pool to cool off from your workout.
2. Opt for popcorn and a movie at New Vision Boulevard 10 Cinema. Looking for a more upscale movie experience? The theater’s BIG-D auditorium features oversized leather chairs and a high-tech, enlarged, edge-to-edge screen. On top of that, you can choose from a full menu of food, wine and beer in the Ovation Room.
3. Visit Northwest Florida’s premier professional theatre company, The Seaside Repertory Theatre. Currently in its 18th season of top-notch entertainment, it offers evening performances of its first-rate shows most days of the week.
4. Explore the multitude of artwork on display at the Bayou Arts Center before tapping into your inner artist with the pastel, watercolor and multimedia art classes on offer. Enjoy a one-on-one or group watercolor painting lesson with 2018 Visit South Walton Artist of the Year Kathleen Broaderick, or create your own glass collage on canvas with instruction from 2014 Artist of the Year Mary Hong.
5. Indulge in the flavors of South Walton. Tasty treats include George’s at Alys Beach and Local Catch in Blue Mountain, while cuisine with a view comes at Vue on 30A or FOOW (Fish Out of Water). Or, soundtrack your meal with the rain at Basmati’s screened-in patio, where the soothing sounds accompany some of South Walton's favorite sushi and seafood.
6. Head to Fusion Art Glass at Grand Boulevard or in Seaside for one-of-a-kind jewelry, light fixtures, ornaments and sculptures – beautiful to browse or take home as a souvenir. In addition to her wonderful classes (mentioned above), you can peruse or purchase from 2014 Artist of the Year Mary Hong's gallery of work.
7. Find something new at Silver Sands Premium Outlets or at a variety of local boutiques. From designer clothes to your favorite home brands, plus jewelry and locally made goods, South Walton’s shops have everything you’d need on a perfect beach vacation – maybe anything you'd want, period.
8. Get beach-ready and relaxed at your pick of South Walton’s many spas. Whether you're looking for a massage, a facial or a manicure/pedicure, the area’s skincare and beauty specialists are here to maximize your enjoyment while on vacation.
9. Pick up a great book to flip through on the beach at Sundog Books, or peruse new tunes at Central Square Records located right upstairs. On a rainy day, proximity is key! Expand your book search at The Hidden Lantern, with over 12,000 titles in a friendly and comfortable atmosphere.
10. Hit Seascape's Towne Centre for shopping, dining and entertainment, all in one place. There's a meal for whatever mood you're in, from upscale Mexican cuisine with top-shelf tequilas at Mezcal Mexican Grill to authentic New Orleans fare at Acme Oyster House. Let the kids duke it out at Thrills Laser Tag & Arcade (we won't judge if you join in). Feeling sweets instead? Stroll next door to Moo La-La Ice Cream & Fudge.
11. Visit the E.O. Wilson Biophilia Center in Freeport for a breath of fresh air beyond the bay. Prized for its biodiversity, this education center promotes sustainability and conservation efforts, maintaining the region’s natural beauty. And with a curriculum centered around young students, this visit is a must for kids!
12. Take a stroll down Main Street DeFuniak, the premier shopping destination north of the Choctawhatchee Bay. This historic downtown district is home to elegant florist shops and unique vintage stores, making it easy to pick up a memento or souvenir. Whether you need an eclectic housewarming gift from Vault 46 or a wind-down at Katie Beth’s Boutique and Spa, DeFuniak Springs is the place to be!
13. For a taste of local history, stop by the Walton-DeFuniak Library! From priceless books to historical weapons and 19th-century architecture, the library is a rare gem. In just one quick visit, you can dive headfirst into local history and gain a deeper appreciation for the area’s rich past.
14. Luxuriate in the flavors of DeFuniak Springs with a trip to Chautauqua Vineyards & Winery. From wine tours to complimentary tastings, Chautauqua is a beautiful spot to unwind. And while you’re there, be sure to sample their specialty: muscadine wine!