10 Ways to Support South Walton
South Walton’s beach neighborhoods are known for their tight-knit, totally unique communities — all of which support each other through art, education, food, events, athletics, and so much more.
Looking to give back to the South Walton community? There are plenty of ways to support local charities and organizations. Mark your calendar with the following Signature Events, and invest your skills and resources in the South Walton community!
1. November: 30A 10K and One-Mile Run. Not only will you feel proud about working up a good sweat before treating yourself to a big holiday meal (the race is held on Thanksgiving morning), but you’ll also feel great about supporting a good cause. Since the race started in 2012, it’s raised nearly $60,000 for local charities. Last year, charities supported included Food for Thought, Lighthouse Family Retreat, and Donations 4 Danny — this year, there could be even more. Support these organizations as a runner or volunteer to assist in race logistics.
2. November: Seeing Red Wine Festival. Going strong for more than 20 years, this event features hundreds of wines from around the world. The Seeing Red Wine Festival partners with the Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation; through DCWAF, all event proceeds benefit Northwest Florida children in need.
3. January: 30A Songwriters Festival. Listen to more than 120 artists in the beach neighborhoods of South Walton — and support the Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County by doing so. The CAA supports the local arts through leadership, advocacy, funding, programs, and education.
4. March: Seaside School Half Marathon & 5K Fun Run. Once your legs have recovered from November’s race, get ready to run again! Race proceeds go to the Seaside School Foundation, which expands opportunities and enhances the quality of education at its charter school in Walton County.
5. April: Sandestin Wine Festival. Hundreds of wines are paired with delicious food at this popular event. By attending the festival, you’ll be able to taste wines of all varieties, styles, and price ranges — as well as support two local charities.
6. April: South Walton Beaches Wine & Food Festival. More than 800 different wines will be poured during this Signature Event. As you sip, taste, and enjoy live entertainment, know that you’re helping support needy children in Northwest Florida through the Destin Charity Wine Auction Foundation.
7. May: ArtsQuest. See some amazing local, regional, and national artists, support the Cultural Arts Alliance, and treat your mother to a day out (the event is held on Mother’s Day weekend, after all) at ArtsQuest. This fun three-day event is full of live music, live art demonstrations, food and drinks, and kids’ activities.
8. June: Digital Graffiti is the world’s first projection art festival, with artists using the latest technologies to project their original, dynamic works onto the town’s iconic white walls. The event continues to benefit The Alys Foundation, which in return supports local charities such as Emerald Coast Autism Center, Seaside Repertory Theatre, Children’s Volunteer Health Network, and more.
9. October: South Walton Fashion Week. Enjoy a week of the latest styles and trends, as local and regional boutiques and designers share their latest creations. The high-fashion fun supports The Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County.
10. Anytime: Volunteer opportunities. A number of local organizations are always looking for volunteers to help support their cause. Whether you’re interested in working with children, protecting the environment, caring for animals, or supporting tourism in South Walton, there’s something for you!